postscripting the life of an average singaporean guy
Saturday, October 09, 2004

Fieldcamp.... 1.......

Ants, spiders, scorpions, centipedes, mosquitos of differents sizes and ranks from a trainee-to-be-commando to lao jiao or what you call veteran.... Those were the many insects I have been sleeping with for the past 2 days for my fieldcamp. Wildboars and snakes were roaming nearby so were the hornets. The best insect though would be the fireflies, it was the first time I have seen a firefly, though the dissapointment was not to see a bunch of them hanging together only saw one!.... Oh well, If I can see a few of them together, I will definitely try to bring it back to mainland singapore in one way or another... Always love fireflies, guess its the romantic moments of many movies which incorporates them...

Fieldcamp was ok... I think what I mean is, I survive without much difficulty except when I am running around and carrying loads of stuffs for a long time! Anyway, my platoon and another of my company's platoon was tekan jialat jialat for not being on time and also cos a few smart ass brought in wet tissue papers when we were told not to bring, some of the tekaning was running to the 8th tree from dunno where..., wearing full battle order.... Well anyway, I think i have been thru some of the common things you will get in fieldcamp, one, sleeping with insects and all kinds of forest creatures, two, having ants crawl all over me and getting into my pants.... ouch..., three, powder bath myself with about 170+ people wearing nothing but slippers and underwear..., four, sleeping on ground which will turn soft if water happens to hit the ground are mix..., five, combat rations!!! Note to self: "I MUST LEARN TO APPRECIATE THE COOKHOUSE FOOD AND NOT COMPLAIN SO MUCH ANYMORE!"

I also learnt another thing, the people who came out with the army songs were really good, take the tekong no. 1 hitlist for example,

Training to be soldiers,
Fight for our land,
Once in our lives,
2 years of our time, (or replaced by What a waste of time)
Have you ever wondered,
Why must we serve?
Because we love our land, (or replaced by Because we got no choice)
And we want it to be free to be free...

Stand up,
Be on your guard,
Come on everybody,
Do your part,
Come on every soldier,
With soul and heart,
Do it for our nation,
Do it for our Singapore....!

Looking all around us,
People everywhere,
Children having fun,
While we are holding guns,
Have you ever wondered,
Why must we serve?
Because we love our land,
And we want it to be free to be free...

Especially the last verse, I can't help but agree that the soldiers who invented the song were right, children were indeed having fun while I am holding guns...# insert NO ORIGINALITY for I have been lamenting about children having fun for the past few posts! #

To add on something more, my section was the most fighting fit section, haha! Total strength 12 presence strength 12 until near the end of my second day where my total strength was down to 11, felt a bit dissapointed because all the other section had strength of 9, 10, 9 respectively and I really thought my section can do my section commander proud. Oh well, not many things in life are what you wished for what you get, you just gotta live with it!

Our OC was really fun, after the morning tekanning he gave us, in the afternoon, he was back to normal and gave us the green light to sabo our instructors! Yes! Camo! Powder! Insect Repellent! Hurah!!! Haha, we sorta had our revenge until we hear our instructors saying neh mind, you all wait for the next field camp. Haiz, I guess it means more Half-Left Down & running around like idiots, rushing for time yet when we arrive way punctually, we wait like idiots and then rush for time again, what a stupid system SAF have! Rush for time like idiots, followed by wait like idiots...

jh out!~

p.s: FYI, I gained 2 kgs last week but am confident I am back to losing weight this week!
p.p.s: combat rations sucks to the core!


Sometimes The Road Ahead Is Paved With Anything But Good Intentions @ 4:26 PM

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
About

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Not boring not exciting, not lazy not hardworking, not handsome not ugly, not short not thin, not a bad guy not quite mommy's boy either. Regular Singaporean guy who like most guys probably get several different colours of the same shirt, t-shirt, berms, jeans once they fall in love with a particular design. Been through the era of cassette tapes of walkmans to discmans(remember the anti-shock technology) as well as MiniDisc(coming out at a bad time) which obviously lost to the emergence of mp3s and the CD to LD which saw LD losing out to VCDs. Next came the DVDs which 0wned the vcds and try to act smart by having 2 groups, HD DVD and Blu Ray. 2 words BLU.RAY. Loves to reminisce the old days when A&W rootbear float was still around and KFC was still a restaurant complete with waiters serving you Kentucky Fried Chicken. The days where bus fares were 10 cents for students and pizza hut's lunch buffets. Moves/dances to the jumpy music of Ipod Ads and likes to laugh at the Hello I'm a Mac, Hello I'm a PC advertisements!

follow me on Twitter

Tell me your views via sn0wbl0wer(at)gmail(dot)com
I am on facebook
counter saw this...
Famous People that he has met: Junichiro Koizumi Lee Hsien Loong David Beckham Ali Larter Mandy Moore The Rasmus Masi Oka Greg Grunberg Sendhil Ramamurthy
Tagging



Wants

Love
House under my name
Audi Q7
Volkswagen Touareg
mba
Volvo XC90
Tag Heuer Aquaracer
Oakleys
Money Clipper
Strike TOTO or Big Sweep
BALLY Wallet
Aikido Nidan (二段)


Links

michelle
guanwen
weiliang
gen
nigel
nicole
tiffany
renne
celina
aline
ziting
derek
peter
andre
cheryl
deirdre
irene
emily
kamikaze
gabriel
zixuan
wynne
qianhui
charlene
235guys
mr.miyagi
mr.brown
RippleVox


Archives

  • March 2004
  • April 2004
  • May 2004
  • July 2004
  • August 2004
  • September 2004
  • October 2004
  • November 2004
  • December 2004
  • January 2005
  • February 2005
  • March 2005
  • April 2005
  • May 2005
  • June 2005
  • July 2005
  • August 2005
  • September 2005
  • October 2005
  • November 2005
  • December 2005
  • January 2006
  • February 2006
  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • November 2008
  • March 2009
  • April 2009
  • August 2009
  • This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

    www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from g0dspeed. Make your own badge here.

    Powered by IP2Location.com